Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The FINAL Graduate!

William Costigan Corrigan Class of 2012

17 years of education started in Cleveland, Ohio in 1993 with kindergarten and first and second grades at Gesu. Six years of Santa Catalina parochial school in Monterey, California. Followed by four years of York High School in Monterey. Topped off with four final years in Denver, Colorado. What a journey it has been for our youngest of four, William Costigan Corrigan, affectionately known as Will.

This past weekend, Will, graduated from Regis University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Psycology. It was not easy but school and life are not meant to be easy.

Throughout all the ups and downs of Will's education over these last 17 years, Will achieved his ultimate goal of receiving a University diploma. A diploma that will always signify a major accomplishment in Will's young life and something that can never be taken away from him. He earned it. It's his rightful claim. It's his for life. Major kudos to Will for his superior efforts, diligence and seriousness of purpose during these years. It was so worth it all!

Many years ago, while my Dad was still alive, I asked him, "Dad, what is your greatest accomplishment as a father?" Without hesitation, he said, "...providing an education for all of you kids (there were eight of us)." At that time, we were newly married and his answer stunned me a bit. I was expecting something else.

My Dad was a successful man in most facets of his life. He chose to define himself not by business achievements but by an intensely personal achievement, that is, providing an education for his kids. You see, for my Dad, education coupled with a strong faith, work ethic and family were the keys to life. He also said, "if I could not provide an education for my kids, I would be a failure in my own eyes."

During Will's graduation weekend, I thought alot about my Dad and his simple yet profound take on life. Education. Faith. Work. Family. That instruction rubbed off on my wife and me. We were committed to educating our own in the same manner our parents provided for us. In deepest gratitude we thank the good Lord, His many blessings showered upon us over the years to help us and guide us with educating all of our kids.

So, Will represents the end of the line for that phase of his life and our lives as providers, supporters, part-time sheriffs and counselors. To say we are happy that our youngest has graduated from college is an understatement of epic proportions. The joy of seeing all of our kids as University graduates is most gratifying and life-giving and supersedes everything in importance to date.

As some old wise man said, "the older I get the smarter my father becomes". My Dad was right again...this time about educating one's own.

Final cheers to Will. So proud of Will. You made yourself proud!! Enjoy the ride of living fully for the rest of your life.

Also, thanks to my Dad for leading by example.






No comments:

Post a Comment